You have probably heard of Mandarin collar shirts; but do you have any inside your closet? If your answer is no, you are losing out on a very classic-cool style. Mandarin collar shirts are becoming a new trend these days and are often seen at fashion shows and high brand shops; so you should try them out.
So How Does a Mandarin Collar Shirt Looks Like?
You have probably seen a mandarin collar shirt before, but maybe you didn’t know how was called. This style collar is a simple stand up band with about four centimeters high that goes around your neck, and it doesn’t require the use of a tie.
However, unlike the banded collar, the Mandarin collar usually has a small gap at the base of the throat; and some shirts might also have a small button on the collar to complete the circle.
You probably remember seen this collar in kung fu movies on the necks of ancient Chinese fighting masters, as this is a very old Chinese-style collar. Now that you visualise how a mandarin collar shirt looks like, let’s go straight to the point.
Why is a Mandarin Collar Shirt Perfect for Everyday Wear?
● It’s versatile: The Mandarin collar looks great paired with double-breasted jackets, chinos, khakis and event shorts. You can wear them tucked in or left out, but you can also choose from a never-ending variety of styles and fabrics according to the occasion. For example, you can pick a plain linen shirt to go to a BBQ on Sunday, and on Monday wear the same shirt for a cocktail party with old friends. The only limitation is your imagination.
● It’s unique: While the traditional collars; such as the point, spread, cutaway, and club collar carry a lot of formality, the Mandarin style doesn’t. Instead, Mandarin collar shirts are perfect for daily chores and casual events. Anyone can wear point collar shirts, but only the cool guys are bold enough to wear Mandarin collar shirts. Mandarin collar shirts are the new kids on the block.
● It’s casual-cool: It makes a great work attire for a relaxed office environment. For example, a white Mandarin collar shirt with a formal pair of dark trousers and a jacket would fit this atmosphere perfectly. The Mandarin collared shirt will also look great at your next picnic. For example, wear a jeans mandarin collar with boat shorts and loafers. You can also impress with this style shirt during an outdoor business party, choose a linen shirt to dress up a bit and pair it with khakis shorts, a light jacket, and hat to finish the look.
Where Can You Buy Mandarin Collared Shirts?
●Interact China: this brand has a unique line of clothes and a beautiful collection of Mandarin shirts. Their elegant pieces are packed with details, such as handmade Chinese knot buttons.
● Yoga Trendz: this online brand sells vibrant mandarin collar shirts, they have a collection of plain and colorful shirts, along with other comfortable clothing for men and women.
● Make your own Mandarin collar: As hard as it might sound, making a mandarin collar shirt is quite easy. There are tonnes of tutorials on the web, and some of these tutorials don’t even require sewing. So why not try something new; you might be surprised with what you can do.
A Brief History of the Mandarin Collar?
Now that you know about the Mandarin collar, why not learning a bit more. The mandarin collar is actually a Western version of a traditional collar worn by Mandarin people in Imperial China. The style originated during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912) in the Manchurian region of China and spread to the rest of the country when the Qing Empire defeated the Han Empire in the 17th century.
Once the Qing were in power, their fashions quickly came into style. The Qing ruled until the early 1900s, leaving behind hundreds of years of history, along with the Mandarin collar. It is one of the most distinctive fashions of the Qing empire and is still around today.
Mandarin Collar Shirts Are Part of Today’s Fashion so Try Them Out
If you are looking for an everyday wear shirt, a Mandarin collared shirt is an excellent choice. It is also a new trend, so you will look cool wearing it. So give this ancient piece of clothing a chance and try it out this season. You can even entertain your friends and family with its remarkable history.